Growing up in Russia I grew accustomed to many wonderful dishes. One of my favorite dishes to eat growing up was Russian Rice Pilaf (Plov). This dish is a cultural one made with many variations depending upon family and region.Jump to Recipe
However, the base for this delicious meal is always meat, rice and carrots. Here is our family Russian Chicken Rice Pilaf recipe that is super simple to make and will bring the taste of Russia to your table.
This Chicken Rice Pilaf is full of flavor, easy to make and can even be adapted to the instant pot!! It usually takes 45 minutes to prep and cook this meal, making it an easy and quick meal to make. It pairs well with some bread of your choice and a salad.
I may earn a small commission through affiliate links at no extra charge to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means I may earn a small commission if you purchase through my links at no extra cost to you. Please refer to my disclosure policy
A Few Notes
Before we jump into the cooking. This recipe can be fixed in the instant pot but is best cooked in a wok (find one here). I have also found that basmati rice works best with this recipe compared to other rice. This is a one pot meal which makes clean up a breeze.
Enjoy a taste of Russia! I love eating this delicious Russian Chicken Rice Pilaf because it brings back childhood memories. There are some many variations of this recipe so I recommend you search for and try other variations as well.
Often this is made with pork, beef or chicken so you can choose which protein to add. Some regions use varying spices and cooking methods but this has been the simplest recipe thus far and it turns out great!
Russian Chicken Rice Pilaf (Plov)
- vegetable oil enough to cover bottom of the pan
- 3 chicken breasts chopped into small bite size pieces
- 3-4 carrots finely chopped into thin 1 in. long strips
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped, whole or minced. Your choice
- 2-3 tbsp cumin
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice rinse rice prior to cooking
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Heat vegetable oil in wok. Get it nice and hot to cook the chicken. Once heated add the chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Add in carrots, onions and garlic. I usually finely chop my garlic but you can add it whole or mince it too. Cook until carrots and onions have slightly softened.
- Add in cumin and season salt
- Take rice and rinse with water until the water runs clear. Drain off the excess water and pour over the meat and veggies. Basically creating a top rice layer to the wok
- Pour chicken broth over the rice and cover with lid. Cook on low for about 20 minutes or until rice is done.
- Fluff and mix. Taste and Add Salt if needed. Enjoy!
A Family Favorite
This dish has always been a comfort food for our family. I love making and eating Russian chicken rice pilaf. It is a hearty dish that is sure to wow the family. Everyone I have ever made this for is always impressed and asks for more. Hope you enjoy!
For More Delicious Recipes? Check out some of our favorites here.