Do you feel like you are being smothered by all the clutter in your house? Is it hard to keep the house clean? You may need to declutter your home to help your house stay clean and be stress free!
I love waking up to a clean and organized home. It brings me such peace and joy and helps me start my morning out stress free.
I didn’t always wake up feeling at peace with the condition of my home. There was a time (quite recently if I’m being honest) before my 10 minute cleaning hack and daily chore routine that I would wake to a disaster.
It has taken some dedication, determination and organization to get to this place. I have had to really be diligent about setting up daily, morning and nightly routines to help keep myself accountable. The biggest thing I did to jump start this process was declutter!
It is just common sense…the less stuff you have to clean the easier it is to clean.
We are such a materialistic culture and it really shows by how much useless stuff we have that we never use. I am not a pack rat, I like to purge my closet about every 6 months. However, I still had a TON of stuff that I never used or needed.
Growing up we did a deep spring and fall cleaning where we would get rid of items we no longer used or needed. I really think this has followed me into adulthood and helped me immensely with the clutter.
This clutter has become very apparent since having kids. Birthdays and Christmas are a clutter nightmare! I am really on the verge of asking for experiences or money for savings as gifts for my kids. Toys and kids clothes have such a short life span (especially when the kids are both 2 and under.)
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means I may earn a small commission if you purchase through my links at no extra cost to you. Please refer to my disclosure policy
Time to Declutter
To help have a clean house, I knew I first needed to declutter and minimize the amount of stuff I actually have to clean.
I made a list of rooms/areas in my house that I knew needed a deep declutter. I found 60 things everyone should declutter today. You would be amazed at how much you actually end up getting rid of.
We had stuff that we haven’t touched since we got married almost 7 years ago.
Why on earth would I keep something I hadn’t touched in 7 years!
Therefore, my new rule is if it hasn’t been used, worn, touched or whatever in the past 6 months to a year then it needs to say farewell and find a new family ( with the exception of little keepsake items).
Here for your viewing pleasure and cleaning sanity is the list of 60 things you need to declutter today.
60 Things to Declutter Today
- Junk Drawer (you know you have at least 1)
2. Utensils and Silverware (any that are broken, never used or ones that you have multiple of. I had 4 potato peelers! Who needs 4?)
4. Cleaning Supplies (anything you don’t use or is expired)
5. Pantry (if you are like me, this one shouldn’t be bad because you organize it often)
6. Plastic Cups and Water bottles
7. Coffee Mugs
8. Drinking Glasses
9. Baking Ware
10. Random Kitchen Appliances i.e. crock pots, coffee pots, pressure cookers… (we had an ice cream maker that we use maybe once every other summer)
11. Dishes (bowls, plates and serving platters).
13. Oven Mitts
15. DVD/Blu Ray collection
16. Coffee Table/ End Table Collection (coasters, magazines, old candles or any other catch all items)
17. Clothing (We got rid of SO much that we hadn’t worn and probably won’t wear again)
18. Shoes (I had a bunch of worn out shoes I was keeping around that just needed to say goodbye)
20. Socks (look for any with holes or mismatched and toss them)
21. Sheets & bed linens
22. Blanket Collection
23. Under Bed (whether you need to declutter the storage, suitcases, books or whatever is hidden under there).
24. Jewelry (I keep mine on my dresser and had so many missing earrings that I threw away.)
25. Pillows (It may be time to just replace them)
26. Nightstands (These are a catch-all in our house)
27. Hats, gloves, scarves and winter wear
29. Medicine Cabinet (Toss out anything that is expired)
32. Hair care products
33. Bath time soaps, bubble bath and such
34. Under the bathroom sink
35. Towels and washcloths
36. Any linens
37. Desk Drawers
38. Pen/Pencil collection (any that don’t work or are broken need to say Aude).
39. Craft Supplies
41. Power Cord collection
42. File Cabinet
43. Clothes (an easy way to store the outgrown clothes for kids later are these vacuum seal bags!)
48. Bath Toys (for bathtub toy organization I have order this freestanding toy caddy. I’m excited to have some storage options that make cleaning easy and won’t fall off the wall.)
49. Pacifiers (Get rid of those that have seen better days)
Other Things To Declutter
54. Hobby Gear or Accessories
55. Gaming Systems and Accessories (My husband is bad in this area. He has old computer games from when he was a child that he is clinging tightly to)
56. Nail Polish
57. Holiday Decor
58. Gift Bags and Wrapping ( I have a huge collection that I probably won’t use up for years)
59. Household Decor
60. Outdoor Decor
Some of my favorite organizational items to help keep clutter in check
Now what in the world do you do with all the items you have after decluttering?
I try to sell some of the nicer and bigger items to make a little extra cash. However, most of the time I find a charity to donate them to.
Giving items to Goodwill isn’t always my first go to, since they tend to just make a profit off of my charity. I tend to find a non-profit charity or people at church who need the items I am getting rid of. Do whatever works best for you!
There you have it! A list of 60 things you need to declutter today. Good luck in you decluttering endeavours! May the odds be ever in your favor.
Finally, it may be wise to declutter the kids stuff when they aren’t around to protest every farewell! Maybe even use it as an opportunity to teach a lesson in charity and giving to those who may need the items more than they do.